Acid reflux and heartburn are at best inconvenient, and at worst, painful and persistent conditions that disrupt your day-to-day activities and significantly affect your quality of life. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help prevent acid reflux and heartburn.
For many people, making these small and easy adjustments to their daily routine effectively helps defend against acid reflux and heartburn.
- Some foods are acidic and can trigger acid reflux and heartburn. Avoid foods and beverages such as chocolate, tomato-based foods like spaghetti sauce and chili, fried or fatty foods, nuts, citrus, alcohol, tea, coffee and pop.
- Eat smaller meals to reduce stomach pressure.
- Take a moderately-paced walk after eating to help digestion.
- Avoid going to bed or lying down within two hours of eating.
- Use pillows to keep your upper body elevated while you sleep.
- Avoid tight clothing around the waist or chest.
- Develop effective ways to handle stress.
- Stop smoking. Smoking causes the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) to relax, allowing stomach acid to splash up into the esophagus (throat).
- If you’re overweight, try to lose a few pounds, as excess weight in the abdominal cavity increases its internal pressure.
These diet and lifestyle changes are helpful preventative measures, but when you’re already experiencing acid reflux and heartburn, medication like Gaviscon® can effectively treat them. Learn how Gaviscon® works, and explore our full range of products!